Periodontal or gum disease is a fairly widespread health problem affecting the gums and bone supporting the teeth. The bacteria which cause the disease, make the bone dissolve over a period of time, resulting in loose teeth and eventually loss of teeth. Gum disease can also increase the risk of other health problems like heart disease, stroke, and respiratory disease. At DrHomeDoctorsPerth send our Doctor’s medical report to have an easier assessment when you want to treat your medical problems.
Conventional surgery for gum problems is painful, and there is a risk of infection. Hence laser treatment for periodontal disease is becoming increasingly popular among patients who have gum problems caused by bacteria. This treatment method is FDA approved
Before the laser treatment begins, the dentist will identify the gum area which has been infected with bacteria. Then the high energy laser beam will be used to remove the diseased gum tissue and bacteria, trim the damaged bone. The laser can also be used to remove the plaque which has built up and also any other infection in the gum area. The debris is cleaned after the diseased tissue is removed, the gum area sealed to prevent further infection. Over a period of time, since there is no further infection, the bone and gum tissue will regenerate itself naturally to support the teeth.
There are many advantages of using lasers for treatment of periodontal disease compared to other methods which are listed since it is a:
- a less invasive procedure, there is no bleeding
- faster recovery time for most patients
- faster procedure for the treatment of gum disease, since there is no surgery, no suture removal, and fewer follow up visits are required
- very effective treatment method compared to patients who have surgery, almost all patients have no gum disease after five years
- the precise treatment method, only the infected gum tissue, bone is removed, and the rest is conserved for faster and better recovery
- sterile treatment method with a reduced risk of infection